The Family Law Reform Coalition is an Australia-wide association of groups and individuals working towards major family law reform in Australia and throughout the world. We believe that the current systems in many countries cause great harm to children and to their families and that much better solutions are available.
Our policy paper “Children in Crisis”, launched on 3 December 2015 at Parliament House in Canberra, outlines our proposals for change.
- To protect children and parents from severe risks associated with family division – particularly where litigation and family courts are involved – including all forms of violence, abuse and harm;
- To ensure that children’s rights and needs – especially to maintain a proper relationship with all fit and loving parents, relatives and friends after family separation – are widely understood, protected and observed;
- To lobby for major changes to the current family law system in Australia and other countries in the interests of children, families and society.
An international community where children’s needs and rights are truly put first whenever families separate and where everyone has the knowledge and understanding to play a part in preventing the psychological child abuse, family violence and trauma that so often accompany separation, particularly when traditional legal and court systems become involved.
- RAISING PUBLIC AWARENESS
To raise public awareness and to change cultural perceptions of the issues surrounding family separation and divorce, including: the nature, extent and life-long impact of the trauma and various forms of child abuse that so often accompany family separation; the importance of continued shared parenting beyond separation in the majority of families; and the importance for most separating parents of allowing their children to love the other parent;
- INCREASING PROFESSIONAL UNDERSTANDING
To substantially increase professional understanding of the extreme and specific risks to children associated with family separation; to ensure greater professional training, regulation and accountability; and to encourage legal and psychological research;
- IDENTIFYING & PROMOTING FAMILY COURT ALTERNATIVES & REFORMS
To identify and promote the development and use of systems and procedures, as alternatives to the Family Court, that genuinely assist families and protect children through the process of separation and beyond; to reform the existing courts; and to contribute to positive changes in the laws that affect separating families;
- DEVELOPING & PROMOTING BETTER POLICY
To develop evidence-based policy that will result in better protection of children and parents than current systems and processes;
- WORKING WITH POLITICIANS
To address these issues at a political level and to foster the political will to make changes necessary to protect children at a most vulnerable time in their lives, including necessary reform of the family law system;
- FORGING A GREATER ALLIANCE
To forge a greater alliance between organisations working nationally and internationally to the same ends.
- To treat everyone with respect and courtesy;
- To make accurate, balanced and gender-neutral information readily accessible to the whole community;
- To support and inspire those who can benefit from knowledge and experience we can share;
- To make a positive, sustainable contribution to our community;
- To put the internationally recognised rights and the fundamental needs of children first.